The intent of the History curriculum at Vernon Primary School is to provide every pupil with:
- An excellent knowledge and understanding of people, events, and contexts from a range of historical periods and of historical concepts and processes.
- An awareness of chronology and the ability to plot dates on a timeline, knowing when events happened in the context of time.
- The ability to think critically about history and communicate ideas very confidently in styles appropriate to a range of audiences.
- The ability to consistently support and evaluate their own and others’ views using detailed, appropriate and accurate historical evidence derived from a range of sources.
- The ability to think, reflect, debate, discuss and evaluate the past, formulating and refining questions and lines of enquiry.
- A passion for history and an enthusiastic engagement in learning, which develops their sense of curiosity about the past and their understanding of how and why people interpret the past in different ways.
- A desire to embrace challenging activities, including opportunities to undertake high-quality research across a range of history topics.
- A knowledge and appreciation of the role of the historian and an understanding of how to use historians’ views to support their ideas.