Year 3 2019 - 2020
Please click on the link below to read a message from all the staff at Vernon Primary School.
Year 3 Relay Challenge
Thank you to everyone who has taken part and sent their photographs. Great teamwork!
Enjoy the video at the bottom of the page!
On this page each week, you will find a selection of English and Maths task to help you continue your learning at home. They will include, spelling, reading and writing task which you can complete in your exercise books (which were within your learning packs). Feel free to complete the tasks in any order. When you have completed your daily Maths and English, we have created a series of projects for each foundation subject. These projects can be found in the "Files to Download" section below, resources to help you with these projects will also be added to this section. These projects will be updated every two weeks to give you time to get through them all.
We hope that you and your families are all keeping well and you have been enjoying the glorious sunshine during the half term! Our topic this summer term will be 'To infinity and beyond!', a science based topic focusing on our solar system and we have lots of exciting projects for you to start looking at to keep you busy (see the attached 'foundation subjects outline and holistic plan overview pdf')!
Thank you for all the amazing pictures you have been sending us celebrating your incredible home learning. It has been lovely to see what you have all been up to! Please continue to foward us any news or examples of your learning to firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you all enjoy these activities whilst learning at home. Keep up the good work!
Stay safe and healthy and we hope to see you all very soon,
Mrs Wilson, Mrs Mowat & Miss Cassidy
Ideas to support your child:
- Read every day. Ask questions about what might happen next. Discussing and defining new vocabulary.
- Practise timetables
- Practise spellings- https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
Summer 2, Week 6 Spellings (Monday 13th July 2020):
- Practise the Year 3/4 for Common Exception words: http://www.crosslee.manchester.sch.uk/serve_file/253974
- Practise your spelling on Spelling Shed: https://www.spellingshed.com
- Practise your spelling on Spelling Frame: https://spellingframe.co.uk
- Choose 5 Common Exception words. Write synonyms, antonyms, the meaning and an example of how to use the word in a sentence. Can the word be modified?
- Choose 5 Common Exception words and practise spelling them using forwards backwards. Write the word forwards then write the words backwards, e.g. forwards sdrawrof
Summer 2, Week 6 Reading Tasks (Aim to do 1 per day) Monday 13th July 2020:
Please download the text and questions linked to the book, for each day of the week in the ‘Files to Download’ section below.
This week Mrs Wilson has filmed a video each day (links below), reading a variety of different non-fiction texts and introducing the questions linked to these. Copies of the text and questions can be downloaded within the attachments.
Tuesday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4w_
Wednesday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ZGX_vXl0Q
Thursday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X2OGp-uiZI
Other possible reading tasks:
- You could share a story with someone at home. This could be a chapter book where you read and discuss a chapter a day.
- Listen to your child read and let them discuss what they have read. Encourage them to read with expression and intonation.
- Watch Newsround and discuss what is happening in the wider world: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/news/watch_newsround
- Get your child to read a book on Oxford Owl, discuss what your child enjoyed about the book: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/
- Explore new vocabulary you find when reading. Look up the definitions. What are the origins of this word? Can it be modified? Can you find any synonyms or antonyms for your new word? Can you use the words in your own sentences?
Summer 2, Week 6 Writing Tasks (Aim to do 1 per day) Monday 13th July 2020:
- Look at the ‘Inverted commas for direct speech’ PowerPoint. Look at the freeze frames slides are create your own speech for what each of the characters might be saying.
- Complete the attached sheet including the correct punctuation within the direct speech.
- Look at the PowerPoint ‘The differences between direct/indirect speech.’ Complete the attached activity sheet identifying the differences.
- Look at the ‘Past and present’ PowerPoint and complete the attached quiz.
- Look at the past and present tense sentence example mats. Write your own sentences in the present tense, then change these to the past.
- Complete the year 3 punctuation quiz and try some of the punctuation and grammar cards.
- Look at the ‘Word families’ PowerPoint. Create your own word families with a chosen word.
- Useful website focusing on punctuation and grammar –
Summer 2, Week 6 Maths Tasks (Aim to do 1 per day) Monday 13th July 2020:
- Key Task: White Rose Maths have created a series of online Maths lessons and Miss Cassidy’s https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-3/
- For the worksheets linked to the White Rose Maths videos, please find them below in the ‘files to download’ section. They are titled ‘Maths Lesson 1 …’, ‘Maths Lesson 2 …’ etc.
- Work on Times Table Rockstars on the times tables set using your individual log in. Your teacher will have access to your log in if you have forgotten it so will be able to remind you of this if you get in contact!
- Have a go at the addition and subtraction word problems sheet (pdf). Remember to use all of the written methods we know, such as number lines, expanded column, and your knowledge of number bonds.
- Have a go at the multiplication and division word problems sheet (pdf). Remember to use all of the written methods we know, such as number lines (including chunking), grid method (for multiplication), and your knowledge of times tables. You could also have a go at the ‘Bus Stop Method’ for division. Use the link https://youtu.be/5R37L_aMNvQ to help you with this.
- We are going to have a go at some arithmetic test questions together. Watch Miss Cassidy’s video. After each question, pause the video, and have a go at answering the question yourself. Then, Miss Cassidy will show you how to work out the answer.
- Play on the Hit the Button website - focus on number bonds, halves, doubles and trying to remember your multiples. These facts are so important to know when you’re doing number operations with larger numbers. Try and get quicker each time!