The intent of the English curriculum at Vernon Primary School is to provide every pupil with:
- Excellent phonic knowledge and skills.
- Fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum.
- Knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
- An excellent comprehension of texts.
- The motivation to read for both study and for pleasure.
- Extensive knowledge through having read a rich and varied range of texts.
- The ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- A vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing.
- A highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description.
- Well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat.
- A love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
- An exceptional talent for listening attentively so as to understand what is being said.
- A rich and varied vocabulary that gives clarity and interest to conversations.
- Clear speech that can be easily understood by a range of audiences.
- An excellent grasp of the rules used in English conversation, such as tenses and the grammatical structure of sentences.
- A highly developed ability to tell stories that capture the interest and imagination of the audience.
- A delight in initiating and joining in conversations.
- Respect for others when communicating, even when views differ.
Files to Download
Reading Learning Objectives Years 1 and 2 Reading Learning Objectives Years 3 and 4 Reading Learning Objectives Years 5 and 6 Writing Learning Objectives Years 1 to 6 Communication Learning Objectives Years 1 to 6 English Genre Coverage Year 1 English Genre Coverage Year 2 English Genre Coverage Year 3 English Genre Coverage Year 4 English Genre Coverage Year 5 English Genre Coverage Year 6 English Policy