Year 5 2019 - 2020
Year 5 Home Learning
Welcome to your Home Learning Class Page!
This is where you will find the activities we have set you along with the resources needed. There are daily activities for Maths, English and Reading along with a task for each foundation subject. We have also provided optional extra activities for you to complete if you wish. Look at the 'Year 5 Home Learning' PDF which maps out your activities and provides links to useful websites.
Please remember that this is your learning and your timetable so it is up to you which order you complete the tasks and how long you spend on them. We have included a suggested timetable but please don't feel you need to stick to this.
You will find all guidance and resources for all the tasks in the 'Files to Download' section. Maths, English and Reading will be uploaded weekly, but foundation projects will be updated every two weeks to give you time to get through them all.
We really hope you enjoy the activities we have set you! Keep up with the amazing hard work that you have shown so far this year! Remember! You are all superstars!
Mrs Allmand-Smith, Miss Swan and Mrs Wigglesworth
Week 2 Spellings (Week beginning 30th March 2020):
- Work through the spellings on the Y5/6 sections of https://spellingframe.co.uk- try to focus on two particular rules per week.
- What do these words have in common? What does that part of the word mean?
- Write sentences using each of these words and find the definition in the dictionary.
Week 2: Weekly Reading Tasks (Week beginning 30th March 2020)
- Complete the guided reading questions in the document section below. These are based on specific chapters of our Cogheart book.
- https://stories.audible.com/start-listen provides free children’s audio books, including our guided reading book- Cog heart! Try to listen to a new book each week from a different author/genre.
- https://www.weareteachers.com/virtual-author-activities/?utm_content=1584565321&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0IFYgW15w8V7oTypQ3ZQRNen8PEqNNjlLlM5EiP4ZFQQdf2lW9ZBUWwl0 Visit this website to listen to different authors read their books. You can listen and read along!
- Share your reading book with someone at home or read aloud and in your head.
Week 2: Weekly English Tasks (Aim to do 1 per day) (Week beginning 30th March 2020)
- See ‘English Week Two’ below to see 5 activities. Aim to do one of these activities each day.
Week 2: Weekly Maths Tasks (Aim to do 1 session per day) (Week beginning 30th March 2020)
- Fluent in Five- daily Arithmetic practise. Find resource in 'Files to Download' section.
- Link to this week’s learning: https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-5/
- For each session, watch the video to recap the objective.
- Have the worksheet in front of you so you are ready to answer the questions.
- Once you have completed the sheet, ask an adult to check your answers with you. If you got any wrong, can you correct them?
- Session 1: Rounding Decimals
- Session 2: Order and Compare Decimals
- Session 3: Understand Percentages
- Session 4: Percentages as Fractions and Decimals
- Session 5: Equivalent FDP
Feeling confident? Have a go at some of the activities below.
- Crack the Code: Recap your knowledge by cracking the code to find the punchline to the joke! (find in resources).
- Explain what 10% means. Is 10% larger or smaller than 1/5?
- Write the missing percentage in each of the bar models:
|Walk 20%||Cycle 50%||Drive ?|
|Crisps 75%||Fruit ?|
- Now write the numbers of children in each category.
- Write 10% of each price:
£3.40 £5.10 £12 £9.90
Now work out 40% of each price.
- Aayush scored 13/20 on a test. Samar scored 70% on the same test. Which of them did better?
In-depth Investigation: Percentage Puzzles (find in resources)