Year 2 2019 - 2020
Please click on the link below to read a message from all the staff at Vernon Primary School.
Hello Year 2, we hope you had a lovely weekend!
Below you will find this weeks learning tasks for Maths, Reading and Writing. There are activities for each day of the week, so it's entirely up to you which order you complete them in. Where possible please record your learning in the workbook provided.
We have created a series of projects for each foundation subject. These projects can be found in the "Files to Download" section below. Please work your own way through these foundation subject ideas, be creative as you wish!
We hope that you enjoy your home learning and find the activities fun and engaging! Keep working hard and make sure that you enjoy some fresh air whenever you can.
Please see our extension and enrichment page for some useful links to extend your childs learning at home.
Don't forget to keep sending your pictures of your fantastic learning to firstname.lastname@example.org as we would love to see your learning this week!
We hope to see you very soon!
Year 2 Homepage
This week your video lesson will be filmed by Miss Mackenzie. In this lesson she will be teaching a Geography lesson, teaching you how to draw a map and using map symbols.
So... what are you waiting for follow the QR code! You will need to have a QR code reader app downloaded first on your mobile device. Once you have done this hover it over the first code, and it will take you straight to the video.
Enjoy Year Two!
We hope you enjoyed the lesson and we can't wait to see the work that you have completed!
Please find below ideas and tasks to help you to continue your child’s education at home. We hope you all enjoy these activities. Stay safe and healthy
Ideas to support your Year 2 child- Resource free
- Read every day. Pick out some new vocabulary from the text, and find out what it means.
- Pick your favourite picture in the book and draw it.
- Practise timetables
- Handwriting practise.
- Practise spellings
- Practice addition and subtraction using number lines.
- Create one step word problems and ask the child to decide which operation to use
- Write a letter to your favourite author explaining why it is your favourite book.
Spellings Date: 18.05.20
- Practise the Year 2 spellings for Common Exception words:https://content.twinkl.co.uk/resource/9e/38/T-L-5157-Year-2-Common-Exception-Words.pdf?__token__=exp=1584636400~acl=%2Fresource%2F9e%2F38%2FT-L-5157-Year-2-Common-Exception-Words.pdf%2A~hmac=fb27b44060dcf80e7a4294b6eb65cea8d4d8c32284a29db27235add5d7812aba
- Practise your spelling on Spelling Shed: https://www.spellingshed.com
- Practise your spelling on Spelling Frame: https://spellingframe.co.uk
- Choose 5 Common Exception words. Play different games with them such as corners, roll the dice with each word on each side and treasure hunt. Maybe make a board game using the spellings.
- Choose 5 Common Exception words and practise spelling them forwards and backwards. Write the word forwards then write the words backwards, e.g. forwards sdrawrof
Weekly Reading Tasks (Aim to do 1 per day) Date: 18.05.20
- Listen to your child read and let them discuss what they have read. Encourage them to read with expression and intonation.
- Watch Newsround and discuss what is happening in the wider world: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/news/watch_newsround
- If you can, download a audio book and have a go at listening to some of that!!
- See files to download and have a go at the comprehension 1.
- See files to download and have a go at the comprehension 2.
Weekly Maths Tasks (Aim to do 1 per day) Date: 18.05.20
All PowerPoints and worksheets will be added to ‘files to download’.
- Lesson 1: Have a look at the PowerPoint ‘make equal parts’. This is a recap of work they have done this year with fractions. Once completed take a look at the ‘make equal parts worksheet’.
- Lesson 2: Have a look at the PowerPoint ‘recognise a half’. This lesson focuses on recognising a half from different objects. Once you have looked at the PowerPoint download the worksheet ‘recognising a half’.
- Lesson 3: Have a look at the PowerPoint ‘finding a half’. Once you have looked through the PowerPoint download the ‘Finding a half worksheet’.
- Lesson 4: Have a look at the PowerPoint ‘Recognising a quarter’. Once you have read through this have a go at the worksheet.
- Lesson 5: Have a look at the PowerPoint ‘finding a quarter’. Once you have looked through the PowerPoint download the ‘Finding a quarter worksheet’.
English Tasks (Aim to do one per day) Date: 18.05.20
We would like you to use the above photograph and use it as a stimulus for an extended piece of writing. It is up to you what to write: a story, a news report, instructions on how to look after the wild thing.
Questions to consider answering in your writing:
- Where is it from?
- Are there more like him?
- Where does he live?
- How will you look after it?
- Will you keep it a secret or tell someone?
- What is it called?
- Who is it?
- What is his purpose?
- Does he have any friends?
Your foundation subjects can be found under files to download, in the document that says foundation work. All of the resources can be found under files to download.
Keep Going Year 2
Miss Mackenzie and Miss Langthorp are so proud of you all!